Saturday, June 6, 2009

Friendship and Colors

There are several limbs I'm going to traverse faster than a flying squirrel during this post.

I can think of two reason for this.

The first reason would be my current state of mind. It's around 5 AM on a Saturday morning. Get. The. Picture.

The second reason would be my lack of blog posts. I should stop making promises because I really don't have much to talk about from week to week. However, I am getting better about remembering the topics I want to cover in each post. This post will be dealing with two of them: Friendship, and colors.

For the first, join me in a perfect, fluid world. Here, I mean fluid as ever-changing and adaptable, not aqueous. Think about your friendships in this space.

You have friendships because they are mutual, because they are beneficial, and because you can terminate them.

This is not cold hearted. If the person with whom I am best friends suddenly undergoes a negative change, I may terminate the friendship because it is either non-mutual or non-beneficial. Following? Let's be honest, people are subject to change at any time because shit happens. Any flavor of shit may happen.

If friendships, even the closest ones, can end, then what's the point? The answer is: It is mutual and beneficial. I like having people around me. I like talking. I like staying current in some peoples' lives. Likewise, they may enjoy having me around, talking to me, or staying current in my life.

In short, this is what I would like people to consider. Friendships are as fluid as jobs, but that doesn't make them any less important. They are extremely important, but I would like my readers to understand their worth and reasoning behind friendships. If you can see the skeletons beneath interpersonal relationships, it's easier to mend the broken bones.

On to colors! I walked into the cafeteria in the basement of the Indiana Government Center South and I made an observation that struck me as odd. Out of everyone in food lines, checkout lines, and tables, not a single person was wearing brightly colored clothing. As I scanned the panorama every single person struck my eyes as dull and insignificant. There were grays, dulled pinks, faded blues, shaded greens, and many other awe-supressing colors. Almost instantly, I looked down at my own shirt for comparison. It was a rich navy blue. I immediately felt like the healthy thumb on a cancerous hand. I sensed the enclosing tumor fist tightening around my garments.

At that point, I started thinking about the reasons for such bland attire. Maybe we're more likely to be recognized for our flaws than our achievements, and we want to blend in to everyone else's flaws. Maybe we follow the monotonous pattern of others because it's hard to pair bright colors with ones that are dull. Whatever the reasoning, I'm all in favor of going against the grain.

Three cheers for the brave souls that challenge the normalcy of unremarkable clothing. Three cheers for every soul that joins me in brightening up everyday life.

Don't be afraid to stand out.

Comments are encouraged and appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment